Selenium ACE is a formula containing the following antioxidants: vitamin A (from betacarotene), vitamin C, vitamin E and selenium. Antioxidant nutrients help to reduce the damaging effects of free radicals in our body.
Selenium ACE contains selenium in the form of selenomethionine. This is the organic form of selenium, which is better because it is more potent, better absorbed and safer than the inorganic form (e.g. sodium selenite or selenate) which can be toxic.
The most important function of selenium is as a component of the antioxidant glutathione peroxidase. This selenium-dependent enzyme:
- Protects red blood cells and cell membranes from damage by free radicals.
- Recycles the antioxidant glutathione, which is important for the removal of toxic by products (assists in the detoxification function of the liver).
- Recycles the oxidized form of vitamin C, restoring its antioxidant power.
- Recharges vitamin E.
Selenium works closely with, and in some cases, can replace the antioxidant vitamin E. The two nutrients when combined, are more powerful than either one alone.
Selenium and Cancer
People with low blood levels of selenium are at an increased risk for developing cancer.
Selenium protects a person from cancer with:
- Its antioxidant capabilities.
- Its effect on the immune system.
- Its ability to neutralize the toxic effects of certain metals that may cause cancer (e.g. cadmium, mercury).
- Its ability to improve a person’s defense against abnormal cell growth.
* The anti-cancer effects of selenium are enhanced if the mineral is consumed in combination with vitamin E.
Selenium and Heart Disease
People at risk for heart disease who have low levels of selenium in their blood will benefit from selenium supplementation. Selenium protects against heart disease in a number of ways.
- It protects blood vessel walls from free radical damage that can cause atherosclerosis and heart disease.
- It is a necessary component in antioxidant enzymes that detoxify rancid fat in cell membranes.
- The high concentration of selenium in platelets helps prevent blood clots.
- It boosts the antioxidant power of vitamin E.
Vitamins A, C and E
The antioxidant vitamins A, C and E all work to boost the body’s immune system and protect it from attacks that can cause illness or disease. Together with selenium, they can reduce the risk of infections, heart disease and many different forms of cancer, including lung, prostate and colon cancer.
As a dietary supplement to boost immune function. It is especially useful for those prone to colds and the flu, and cancer patients. It is also useful to reduce the risk of heart disease.
Take 1 tablet daily, or as directed by your healthcare professional.